Have some of those black patches on your beautiful off-white ceiling fan ever put you off? Well, this happens to all of us when we forget to clean our fan blades regularly. It is a must to remove dirt or grease from ceiling fans. Wondering how to clean a ceiling fan? Don’t bother much, there are doable and easy ways to clean ceiling fans.
Whether you put on your ceiling fan or don’t, fine dust particles are bound to settle on the blades. Irrespective of the pace your fan is running at, due to moisture in the air and dust not being wiped, your ceiling fan gets greasy and dirty. Let’s admit how bad this can be for the longevity of your ceiling fan.
So, to avoid being disappointed, find out about cleaning tips for ceiling fans. In here, we are going to guide you on some of the easy ways to clean your ceiling fan, steps to keep in mind while following a particular method, and essential precautions to consider while removing dirt settled on ceiling fans.
4 Ways To Clean A Ceiling Fan
Be it removing kitchen grease or cleaning wood fan blades. Here are some of the easy ways to clean ceiling fans.
How Often Should you Clean your Ceiling Fan?
If you want the ceiling fans of your home to remain good for a long period of time, it is quintessential to remove dirt with a ceiling fan cleaning brush twice a week or once in a month. So, make it a point to use all your cleaning tips for ceiling fans often.
How often? If you keep the doors and windows closed at home, then cleaning your ceiling fan once in a month is enough. However, if the doors and windows of your home are left open all day then wipe the ceiling fan twice a week.
Methods to Clean a Ceiling Fan:
#1. Use A Soft Cloth Or Dusting Stick To Clean Your Ceiling Fan
Do you know how to clean a ceiling fan in 60 seconds? Well, it is easy. You’d only need to dust the ceiling fan with a cloth or dusting stick. If you’ve been looking at how to clean a wood ceiling fan blade, even then this method of cleaning is the best.
You will need:
- Soft cloth(hosiery or cotton fabric) to wipe the fan.
- Wooden stick and good quality cloth tied to the edge of the fan to dust it.
- Stool to climb.
- Water spray to slightly wet the fan and remove dirt.
How to do:
- Pick a dusting stick and step on the stool.
- Gently tap the dusting stick on the fans and in the center to quickly remove cobwebs and dust.
- Use the water spray all over the fans.
- Now, get a grip of the fan and gently wipe out the water.
- Make sure to cleanly wipe all the water droplets before you switch on the fan.
- Avoid dusting hard on the fan
#2. Use A Vacuum Cleaner
Among the easy ways to clean ceiling fans, using a vacuum cleaner is the most convenient option.
You Will Need:
- An extended handle for the vacuum cleaner
- Flat dusting attachment
How to do:
- Attach a duster attachment at the base.
- Step on a stool, extend the handle of the vacuum cleaner.
- Put on the vacuum cleaner and slowly brush out all the dirt
Precautions if any:
- Avoid running the vacuum cleaner on wet fans.
#3. Use A Long-Handled Duster
As you are looking for cleaning tips for ceiling fans, try long-handled dusters. The bristles are soft and effective. When you move the duster around the fan, the magnetic material makes sure to thoroughly wipe out all the dust.
You will need :
- Long-handled soft magnetic duster
- Cloth to cover your mouth
How to do:
- Hold the handle of your duster.
- Step on a stool, extend your hand forward and gently wipe out the dust from one end of the fan to another.
- Clean the fan wings in the front and behind.
Precautions if any :
- Avoid wetting the handled duster.
#4. Ways To Clean A Dirty Or Greasy Ceiling Fan
How to clean fan blades that are greasy and oily? Is this what you are struggling with? Well, all you need is a few basic things and you are good to go. Whenever a ceiling fan gets sticky, it needs thorough wiping. Apart from this, you can even remove dirt with a ceiling fan cleaning brush too.
More than cleaning ceiling fans in the living room. It is essential to remove kitchen grease on the ceiling fan in your kitchen. In kitchen’s, there is a tendency for water and oil to evaporate and settle on ceiling fans. Thus, cleaning up the grease once in a while is much needed.
You will need:
- Long stool
- Tissue papers/wipes
How to do:
- Keep a few tissue papers handy.
- Climb on the long stool.
- Pour a few drops of spirit onto a cloth.
- Firstly, wipe the ceiling fan with tissue papers to remove all the dust.
- Then, use the cloth dipped in a few drops of spirit and wipe all the grease from top to bottom.
- Avoid making the fan blades too wet. Make sure it is wiped well before you put it on.
- Always remember to wipe each blade dry.
Now that you are well-versed with some of the easy ways to clean ceiling fans, do your part and thoroughly clean the ceiling fans of your home. Either use a ceiling fan cleaning brush, vacuum cleaner, or a handled duster to wipe out dirt on the fan blades. Along with keeping the fan blades clean, make sure to take necessary precautions to avoid an electric shock or any form of damage.